Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Alliterations [interview, discount]

"Alliterations" is an adorable handmade ring shop with fabulous prices- everything is just $5! You will find a ring for every occasion and personality. Lauren is the sweet girl behind this shop. Let us find out a little more from her!
 
slice of watermelon ring 
Tell us a little about Lauren! 
I'm Lauren Lowe - yes, my name is an alliteration. Hence my business name, Alliterations! I'm 21, in college, and married to a cool, banjo ukulele playing, sculpture major. We eat a lot of fruit, cereal, and candy. (not all together!)
 
If you could have a super power, what would it be?
flying! 


 
How did you get your start in making jewelry?
I've always loved making my own jewelry. I realized one day that i had WAY too many earrings! But I always had great ideas for new earrings and my collection kept growing. So i needed to start selling them. I opened up my shop http://alliteration.etsy.com in August of 2008 and just passed 1100 sales! I realized I wanted to make a new shop for rings. Thus, this new shop, http://alliterations.etsy.com opened this July and we have already passed 100 sales, wahoo!


 
How would you describe the style of your shop and the items found in it?
Cute! I love love love cute items. Also, unique. I love things that are different from everyone else. I hate it when you buy something at Target and everyone you see is wearing it too! So I try to make cute and different items. 


 
What is your process for creating a new piece?
Looking all over the place for cute inspiration and seeing what's already out there. I also get a lot of custom requests from people of certain animals or food or items they like. 


 
Can you tell us about your favorite ring you have ever made?
My first one I ever made is one i wear at least 3 days a week! http://www.etsy.com/listing/58375873/a-spot-of-tea-ring And then my mirror one is sooo fun! Plus i can check my teeth in it after i eat haha http://www.etsy.com/listing/57945144/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-ring


 
Do you have an inspiration?
Anyone who does etsy/another small business as their main job. My goal by May is to be doing my business full time so that when I graduate college, I don't need a real job :)


 
Can you tell us about a normal day in your life?
Wake up whenever is necessary for school. Somewhere from 7-10 depending on the day. Relist items in the middle of the night if I happen to wake up and have a sale :) or in the morning. College for a couple of hours. Checking email and etsy compulsively throughout the day. A trip to the post office in the afternoon. The post office ladies know me well. It's a pleasant part of my daily routine. Evenings - make dinner with the hub, put together etsy orders/packages, order supplies (i love doing this!), blog, hang out with friends!

 
Do you have any advice for someone thinking about starting their own crafting business?
Make what you LOVE! Don't try to figure out what you THINK people will like - you'll probably be wrong! Make things you enjoy and think are great. Then, ask other people what they would like. Get people's real opinions and don't assume anything. Get a great group of friends and get their thoughts on products, prices, colors, photos, everything! Really be willing to invest a lot of time and money. I've heard to not expect your business to take off or to get real profit for the first 2 years. I'm just about to hit that 2 year mark so I'm excited :)


 
Is there anything else that you would like to add?
Find joy in life! Surround yourself with great friends. Thanks so much for showing off my shop :)
10% discount to Alliterations!
Just mention "Samy in Wonderland" in the note-to-buyer during checkout 
and you will receive the appropriate refund through paypal.
(Hurry, this offer ends on October 26th)



4 comments:

Crunchy Beach Mama said...

Wow!! So fun! :)

Samy said...

Hi there, Crunchy Beach Mama. :) Fun is definitely a great way to describe her shop. Thank you for your comment!

asuka said...

I loved finding out about this shop. The pieces are so original and well thought of ^_^ Also, I'm a sucker for teacup rings, hehe.

Samy said...

I'm happy that I could introduce you, Asuka! I love teacup rings as well. ;D